Web developer, project manager, and digital strategist with over ten years in media and creative agency experience. Well versed in the full LAMP stack and coding to the latest web standards using modern tools. I look to build great web applications to assist in building businesses.
- Efficient and well documented web coding to modern standards (OOP, MVC)
- Strong strategic web content development
- Strong project management skills
Bend Bulletin Newspaper, Bend, OR (09/06 - 08/15)
Senior Web Developer
DCS Politics, Washington, DC (01/06 - 09/06)
Web Developer / Production Manager
Managed all incoming and prospective web development work for web team, including one designer, and one developer besides myself. Responsible for working with others on strategy, information architecture/wire frames, design, and production schedule, and production itself. Develop all sites in Joomla or Drupal CMS to fit client needs. Work with designer on managing House of Representatives client sites in IIS/ASP environment. Have developed and maintained several sites including developing and customizing website features through the use of Joomla off the shelf PHP modules, or coding new modules to work with the Joomla Content Management System.
Center for Community Change, Washington, DC (09/04 - 12/05)
Web Development Manager
Managed four website properties, two sub-sites, "Get Active" online advocacy system, and one intranet. Managed, installed, and modified new intranet using open source software which includes content management system, file management, and secure user logins. Launched "Get Active" online advocacy system (ASP model) which included building custom pages and e-mail designs. Work across the organization on design and strategy for all outgoing mass e-mails and advocacy campaigns. All websites coded using LAMP and CSS.
IT Helpdesk / Telco
Serviced internal and field staff IT needs. Includes hardware management of desktops, laptops, mobile phones, internet connectivity, and printers. Worked with Director of IT during office to implement Cisco IP Telephone system and redesign data network. Managed project and affiliated vendors until project completion. During maternity leave of IT Director, was the interim IT Director and managed all IT staff, finances, and projects.
Curiosity Group, Portland, OR (05/03 - 05/04)
Assisted account manager and content manager as part of Hewlett-Packard Home of Home Office (HHO) team in a project management role. Managed cross-team (other HP creative agencies, HP Newsgram e-mail service, and with HP HHO team) calendars and schedules consisting of creative projects and article and copy creation. Managed monthly content for two major portions of HHO website including editorial direction, copy review, image development, and dependency coordination. Successfully launched and managed new article and creative projects development with internal creative team and editorial staff meeting all creative and budgetary goals.
Camera World, Portland, OR (06/99 - 08/01)
E-Commerce Marketing Manager
Researched, planned, and purchased online media space on targeted internet properties. Negotiated with MSN, AOL, Infospace and smaller online entities for effective media buys. Established and managed affiliate marketing program which recruited several thousand affiliate sites; program overall obtained the best return on investment of all online advertising initiatives. Coded and coordinated bi-weekly newsletter e-mails and programmed articles to appear on the cameraworld.com website.
Led web development team for e-commerce website. Facilitated the production and programming of merchandising, marketing, and internal web projects and site improvements. Upon re-launch of cameraworld.com site performed usability study to improve site navigation and performance, and worked with outsourced usability agency to facilitate another study. Summarized results for a faster and more usable site. Redesigned online checkout process to improve purchase conversion ratio.
Grady Britton Advertising, Portland, OR (07/97 - 04/98)
Account Coordinator / Media Assistant
Assisted account managers with several clients from Kaiser Permanente, Freightliner, and Intel Network Products Division to Portland Saturday Market and Labtec. Assisted with meeting coordination, proofing, creative strategy, business strategy, and with communications between the agency and client. Oversaw the Alliance (Freightliner owned) area the Mid-America trucking show and behalf of Freightliner and the agency in Louisville, Kentucky. Assisted Media Director with competitive spending, competitive creative evaluation, new market research, media research, and media plan consultation for many of the same clients as in account services. Designed and placed (in consultation with media director) $120,000 fall 1997 Kaiser Permanente radio plan that was 'inescapable' by the target audience. Plan was 11 stations deep with effective reach and frequency.
- End-to-end LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) architecture. From server setup to final web content polishing
- MySQL and MySQL command line and using database tools such as NaviCat
- Git and Github, all projects managed through Git when possible
- Amazon AWS Server setup, database and application server abstraction
- Use of modern methods of markup of HTML5, SASS, and Responsive Design
- Nginx caching proxies, cache management and rules
- Bootstrap 3 (usually paired with SASS CSS compilation)
- Wordpress HTML5 responsive themes
- Installation and management of Open Source CMS systems (I.E. Wordpress, Joomla)
- Object oriented programming, using functional markup when needed for quick fixes or very small tasks
- Mailchimp e-mail newsletter management, data, segments, lists, delivery and metrics
- Shopping Cart installation and configuring payment gateways (PayPal Payflow Pro, others)
- Medium level graphic design; Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator manipulation and optimization
- Effective Search Engine Optimization techniques, copywriting, and HMTL markup methods
- Versed in all helpdesk functions; Trouble ticketing and issue priority
- Medium level network administration (Linux, MS Server)
- Manage Cisco Telco systems: Call Manager, Unity Voicemail
- Familiar with Cisco networking products and firewalls. Command line or web interface
- Manage PDA applications and relationship to servers
- Competent in business network installation and wiring methods
Tools I use
- Web Development: VIM, Linux command line, MySQL command line
- Analytics: Omniture, Google Analytics
- CSS: Command line or Textmate using SASS to compile modularized CSS
- Graphic design: Adobe Photoshop; Adobe Fireworks, Adobe Illustrator
- Print: Adobe InDesign, writing output code for InDesign import